Monday, June 1, 2009

Busy Busy Busy

Well, I haven't posted a long form blog in awhile, sorry about that. I've been doing some updates via Posterous, which you should really check out if you haven't yet.

Life has been going gangbusters lately. About a week and a half ago, I was asked to be a food vendor for the Relay For Life event in Camas by our close friend Jen Caine. I accepted and set forth on my journey to feed hundreds of people. I've never feed hundreds of people at once, I've fed ten's of people at once, but not hundreds. Big difference. I wanted to use the event to support the Relay, but also to gauge the interest people would have in my food and if it is something that may be viable in the future as a source of income. I love to cook, as you may be able to tell, and this was just so much fun for me to plan, prepare and execute. I think we pulled it off pretty well, but I know if I didn't have the help of Kim, Tim and Curt I would have been dead in the water. They were the stars of the show, they were dialed in and had a system set within 20 minutes of opening to make sure we were running as smoothly as possible. The only slight hiccup we had was when the health inspector showed up at 10:30, but we passed our inspection with flying colors and no violations, which made all of us extremly happy. After that, we were off and running, and running, and running until 12:30 in the morning.

We had a great reception from all of the patrons, in fact, many said that we needed to raise our prices. I will be taking that into consideration from this point on. We also got many contacts for possible future events, which is what I was really hoping for. I really did have a good time doing this event, and I learned SO much invaluable information. In my opinion this really was a blessing for me, it gave me the opportunity to put forth my product, see if it was any good and to give me that kick in the rear to take the chance on it.

From here I just try to find more events. I've already been sending emails to Battle Ground, Camas, and Washougal MX to see if I can get into their events as a food vendor. I don't think there are that many traveling BBQ joints, except for Lou in Camas, so hopefully they'll want me. There are many other events I'll be looking into, with the overall goal of being a vendor at the Clark County Fair. It won't happen this year, but hopefully next year. I've got a lot to learn before I can take on the 260,000 people at the fair.

On the internet side of things, Tough Guy is trucking along, but we just started another project a couple of weeks ago that will take up the majority of our time in the near future. Tough Guy is built out, and running on it's own, so that is what allows us to look at new and more interesting concepts and projects. Even though we're not computer programmers, we still have ideas that in my opinion will translate wonderfully to the online world, and we just have to continue to overcome the challenge of not being hackers. A year ago, we couldn't build a website in a month, now with all we've learned with TG, we could probably knock out a fairly simple one in a matter of days, if not hours. Like Vanilla Ice said, "If there is a problem, yo, I'll solve it." Who knew he could be so inspiring! So keep an eye out for FierceFeed, it will be here, and you will love it.

Have fun, and I'll post up some recipes in the next few days. Remember to let me know if they're great or crap!

Stay Positive

No comments:

Post a Comment